|The Channel Tunnel, 50 km long: ||$10,000 million|
|Heathrow Airport, London, Terminal 5: ||$4200 million|
|Wembley Stadium, London: ||$1500 million|
|Olympic Games, London, 2012 (estimated): ||$3300 million|
|The Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff: ||$160 million|
|The Scottish Parliament Building, Edinburgh: ||$800 million|
|UK National Health Service computer system: ||$22,000 million|
|Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, building costs: ||$400 million|
|Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, annual running costs: ||$500 million|
|Building cost of a new secondary school for 1000 students: ||$60 million|
|New civic centre, health centre, library and shopping area, East Kilbride, ||$700 million|
|Sky TV satellite launch: ||$1000 million|
|Earth environment monitoring satellite launch to look for evidence of climate change: ||$1000 million|
|The Cassini-Huygens mission: ||$3260 million|
- Make a graphic display of this information.
- Discuss: How can you decide what makes one project more important than another?
- Survey: Carry out a survey, asking people which of the projects they think are most important.
- What about your own views? List the projects in order of your view of their importance.
- Make a list of the projects in order of your view of their value for money.
More on Cassini Huygens?
Should we build more hospitals and launch fewer satellites?