All cultures have stories about the stars. But present-day scientific ideas developed continuously in regions centred on the Eastern Mediterranean – from Ancient Greeks to Islamic astronomers and then to European scientists. Today, Space Science programmes exist worldwide.
Other cultures have also developed sophisticated ideas about astronomy. This has happened in India, for example. Indian ideas influenced Islamic astronomers and so helped to develop modern science.
People all over the world have been looking at stars for a very long time.
Click on the map to find out more.
- SW USA: http://www.traditionsofthesun.org/about.html
- Japan: http://www2.gol.com/users/stever/asuka.htm
- Yucatan: http://www.michielb.nl/maya/astronom.html
- Iraq: http://www.stormpages.com/swadhwa/hofa/mesopotamia.html
- China: http://www.spacetoday.org/China/ChinaAstronomy.html
- Many cultures: http://www.astrosociety.org/education/resources/multiprint.html
Many people have believed in astrology as well as astronomy. The difference between astrology and astronomy is very big.