Science provides some answers to these questions, as clicking on the question will show you, based on scientists' best possible observations.
More big questions
These questions cannot by answered by physical observation alone. They are important questions. But they are not scientific questions.
Write these questions onto pieces of paper or card. In small groups of 2 or 3, sort the questions into ‘scientific’ and ‘non-scientific’.
- Do we live at the centre of the Universe?
- Did the Universe have a beginning?
- Are we the most important part of the Universe?
- Is the best way to study space by making observations?
- Did the Universe have a creator?
- Is it right or wrong to study space?
Write down a short agreed explanation of how you decided whether a question was scientific. Compare your explanation with those from other groups in the class.Can the whole class agree on a single easy-to-use explanation?
Astronomy in history