The fossil fuels, coal, oil and gas, and products made from them, are a crucial part of our every day lives. They are responsible for enabling everything from transport and electricity, to providing chemicals for plastics, fertilisers and medicines.
They currently supply 80% of world energy (source). As such we are currently completely dependent upon them.
We have a problem...
- We are dependent upon fossil fuels for energy,
- but we also now know that burning fossil fuels is causing Climate Change.
- For oil and gas there is growing demand for a limited supply.
- However, if we were to stop using these fuels overnight, the world as we know it would stop functioning.
- Finding replacements will take many years, or even decades.
So, a key question is: Can we use fossil fuels in less, or non-polluting ways while we find alternatives?